Thursday, June 12, 2008

Quiet Day

Difficulty is the excuse history never accepts. - Edward R. Murrow

 

"I may not be what I ought to be and I may not be what I'm going to be, but thank God I'm not what I used to be!" - prayer from the African American Christian community.  This quote came out of a daily devotions book I read and I found it to be a great prayer - so simple and true.

 

Today has been a great day.  The highlight of the day was an unexpected visit from a local man who was diagnosed with MCL some three years ago.  He and I had exchanged some calls and e-mails but not yet met.  We had a great conversation about our experience with MCL.  I am constantly amazed at the new friends I've gained through this experience.

 

All in all, not much to report today.  In addition to the visit from a fellow MCLer, my parents-in-law dropped in for a nice visit and then my wonderful Kim brought an awesome Pasta Carbonara that she made for dinner.

 

The drug menu today includes Cytarabine, Sodium Bicarbonate, Zofran, and Decadron.  Cytarabine belongs to the group of cancer-fighting medications known as antineoplastics, and specifically to the group of antineoplastics known as antimetabolites. Cytarabine fights cancer by preventing the growth of cancer cells, which eventually results in their destruction.  Cytarabine also suppresses your bone marrow and your immune system.  Unfortunately many healthy cells are also destroyed.

 

Side effects for Cytarabine include: Nausea and Vomiting, the lining of the digestive tract can be damaged causing diarrhea and mouth sores, Ara-C syndrome - Fever, muscle soreness, joint and bone pain, chest pain, rash and eye effects, peripheral neuropathies - loss of sensation in the fingers and toes, bone marrow suppression, toxic effects on blood cells, headaches and fever, Myalgia (aching muscles), malaise, decreased appetite, diarrhea, mouth and anal skin ulceration or inflammation, rash and other skin changes (freckling, ulceration), conjunctivitis, hair loss, pain in the abdomen (stomach area), bone pain, inflammation of the esophagus (tube connecting the mouth to the stomach), inflammation around the injection site, infections, bleeding into the esophagus, stomach or gut, bloody stools and/or vomit, liver disease characterized by jaundice (yellow skin, dark urine, pale stools), chest pain, kidney failure, urinary retention (inability to empty the bladder without medical assistance), lung changes resulting in shortness of breath, excess fluid in the lungs and enlargement of the heart (rare), permanent nerve damage (rare), paraplegia (rare),  and blindness (rare).

 

The rest of the drugs were described and covered before so no need to rehash that.  The great news is that I am doing good so far - the only possible side effect I've had over the last days is some flushing of the face that goes away pretty quickly.

5 comments:

Charlene said...

We're so encouraged by your progress. The power of prayer is a mighty thing, isn't it? We continue to lift you, Kimmie and CJ up.

Anonymous said...

Keep on fighting. Our prayers are with you, Kim, and Courtnie everyday. Our love to all of you, Mom

Anonymous said...

Hi Gary,

Stay strong. You are in my thoughts. Forward focus is very powerful. Keep moving forward one step at a time...Love to you and your family, Aunt Merrilee

Anonymous said...

Brrrrrrrooooooooooottttthhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!! I just wanted to give a goat shout! I love you man! -Duke

Diana said...

Gary,
We continue to keep you in our thoughts and prayers. I check your blog several times a week to see how you are doing. John and I look forward to visiting with you and Kimmie just as soon as you are up to it. Hugs to all of you!

Diana/Colorado Springs