Thursday, April 3, 2008

Chemotherapy, Cycle 1, Day 4

I'm happy to report that this was another uneventful day as far as any side-effects or problems.

Definitely happy that my stays at the hospital are confined to a week at a time. Hard part is being away from my beautiful Kimmie and Courtnie. There are so many things I took for granted before this - simple things like going to the bathroom, taking showers... life is so cool.

I have to agree with an interview I watched of Lance Armstrong, the world class bicyclist who is a cancer survivor and founder of Livestrong, The Lance Armstrong Foundation - http://www.livestrong.org. In that interview Lance said that he would not now dream of not having had cancer because of the person it changed him into. I am sure that I am not even the latest person who is faced with having cancer that feels exactly as Mr. Armstrong said - changed.

I added a profile section to this blog. There is something I'm about to change for those that already read it - the profile was nearly a cut and paste from another person who is facing MCL and that person talks of a terminal disease. I'm changing that to 'potentially terminal.' Life itself is a terminal disease if you think about it. But specifically, the treatment of MCL is making huge strides - a "cure" does not exist yet but it appears that some people are potentially being cured under the newer treatments, or at least being put into complete remissions that allow people to live out a full life to die of "normal" causes. The statistics aren't there because the newer treatments don't have a long enough history to say that they are the cure. In fact, they aren't - the treatment I'm doing R-HyperCVAD has proven very successful, but not for everyone. So, as I said, I'm making the change to "potentially terminal" to reflect my belief and hope, bolstered by the confidence of Dr. Lee and information that is out there, that this current treatment will result in a complete remission which, eventually, would be termed a cure.

Today was again highlighted by visits from family, co-workers that really came out of their way to see me, and a retired co-worker that is always a true pleasure to see.

Without naming him - I want to give a special thanks to a co-worker that visited me early today that is making extraordinary efforts on my behalf and offering a level of support that is over the top.

I get sprung from the hospital tomorrow afternoon. Am so looking forward to a shower at home and a full nights sleep! More importantly - I will be with my family again, they are dearly missed.

For those that are local, once I am home I would appreciate calls before visits to my house only because I won't be home all weekend. Going to be spending as much time swinging CJ as I can and spending time with Kimberly.

No comments: