Friday, April 18, 2008

Schedule Change

The balance of this week has gone really well. On Thursday I was finally able to get back to work, which was really great. I've said this a hundred times to people I know - if you aren't doing what you absolutely love doing, start working your way towards that thing you want to do. It is worth every effort once you arrive at the work you love to do.

Today I met with Dr. Lee for my end-of-week review. My blood work improved throughout this week and I'm feeling pretty normal. This was all great news to me, as it was to Dr. Lee. The upside of this great news is that my second round of chemotherapy is now going to begin this Monday, a week earlier than previously planned.

As Dr. Lee asked me about whether that was okay or not, it struck me as funny. What other possible item could I have going on that could be of some greater priority than to follow his recommendation? I was tempted to say - "Well, let me check my calendar..." but I dare not mess with the man that is doing such a good job keeping me feeling halfway decent through this ordeal.

I've told myself that this hospital visit is going to be different than the last - which is by no means to say that the last wasn't good. Going into this hospital stay already promises to be better - other than the remnants of some chest congestion working its way out, I'm not sick or just coming down with a cold this time; and unlike last time I won't be fully dehydrated because of a surgery on the first day; and unlike last time, my muscles don't feel like they've been beat with a sledgehammer.

This cycle is the 'Course B' of the R-HyperCVAD regimen. That means I will be given the following drugs:

Rituxan - depletes B cells; same drug I had at the beginning of Course A.
Methotrexate - is an antimetabolite and antifolate drug.
Leucovorin - used as a 'rescue' agent to prevent excessive cellular damage by methotrexate.
Sodium Bicarbonate - used to produce a mild metabolic alkalosis, desirable when administering large quantities of methotrexate.
Cytarabine - belongs to a group of drugs known as antimetabolites. It resembles a normal cell nutrient needed by cancer cells to grow. The cancer cells take up cytarabine, which then interferes with their growth.

This next week's plan will be the same as the last time - Monday I will do the Rituxan at Dr. Lee's office and then go home to sleep. Early Tuesday morning I will check in at St. Anthony's North hospital and I will be sprung again on Friday.

This Course B is reportedly a bit more challenging than Course A. I'll be soon letting you know. As always, I appreciate everyone's support and love checking this blog and e-mail for messages!

I had said that I hope to make this hospital stay different than the last. I have several things in mind:

1.) I plan to get out and walk around a lot more... always tough when you are tethered to an IV pump but hopefully I will get out more this time.

2.) I didn't get out and visit other patients on the floor last time like I want to. This time I plan to do that.

3.) I am going to campaign to have sushi and Japanese food smuggled in for at least every lunch and dinner. As I mentioned before, this just has some sort of miracle effect on me.

4.) No television this time - I'll probably watch a few of my favorite movies on the laptop - Hannibal, Chronicles of Riddick, Blade, The Silence of the Lambs.

This weekend I may not post anything else. I hope to have as much fun as possible - maybe another hike. Updates will definitely be regular starting Monday however.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You amaze me with your optimism and strength, you are definitely someone who will inspire many. God Bless you Gary. With God all things are possible.

Anonymous said...

Remember when you were a young child, ran your first 10K and won? You have the courage, strength, determination, and faith to beat this the first time around. Hang in there. Praying for you. I love you, Mom